Employer survey reinforces importance of Work for the Dole in Australia
Thu, 5 Jun 2014
A survey of more than 1,000 employers has reinforced the importance of the government’s new Work for the Dole programme, a work-based welfare programme, and revealed changes young jobseekers can make to improve their employment prospects.
Assistant minister for employment Luke Hartsuyker released the results of the Surveys of Employers’ Recruitment Experiences on Monday (2 June), which were conducted by the Department of Employment.
Hartsuyker said the survey asked employers what they thought young people could do to improve their job prospects, and about half the responding employers said the best action many young people can take is to “improve their attitude or physical presentation”.
“Employers reported the lack of commitment to work displayed by many young people resulted in them not having the necessary enthusiasm, reliability or initiative required to make an effective contribution,” he added.
Phase one of the government’s new Work for the Dole programme to help young jobseekers move from welfare into work was launched last week.
Starting in July, long-term unemployed jobseekers aged 18–30 in selected locations around Australia will be required to participate in Work for the Dole activities for about 15 hours per week for six months.